Bloom Academy Charter School exists to provide a high quality, rigorous, and joyful educational experience to students in grades kindergarten to fifth grade. We are a new and independent school seeking to add deeply mission aligned, smart, hardworking, and emotionally intelligent people to our founding staff. We opened August 2019 with a cohort of kindergarten and first graders, and now serve scholars in grades K-2 the 20-21 school year. We will continue to add a grade level every year until we reach the fifth grade.
Bloom Academy Founding Lead Teacher
Driven by our mission to ensure every child succeeds, the founding lead teacher will be responsible for delivering high quality, rigorous instruction and maintaining a joyful classroom environment for all students. We believe that teachers are key levers in producing student achievement. Therefore, Bloom Academy provides a working environment that intentionally supports and appreciates this incredibly demanding and important work through daily and weekly coaching and professional development. Joining our team as a founder provides a unique opportunity to help build the culture and legacy of Bloom Academy as it becomes an enduring and premier education option for generations of students to come.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE BELIEVE
At Bloom Academy we provide a safe, joyful, inclusive, and challenging learning environment for all students. This includes children with special needs. This includes children from low-income households. This includes children who have been historically marginalized. We believe that all children can learn at high levels. We believe that all children are extraordinary. We believe that children can only be as great as the adults in front of them. We believe that excellent teaching requires planning, coaching, constructive feedback and reflection. We believe that teaching is one of the greatest and hardest responsibilities in the world. We treat each other with respect and value the talent each person adds to our organization no matter their position on our organizational chart.
We exist to change the narrative about what children from low-income neighborhoods are capable of achieving both academic and personally. We exist to change the narrative about what Black and Brown children are capable of achieving both academically and personally. We are unapologetic about our philosophy. All applicants must share this mindset – no exceptions.
The Lead Classroom Teacher will have the following key responsibilities:
• Provide a strong foundation of learning and achievement for students in a self-contained setting.
• Plans rigorous and differentiated TEKS aligned lessons that meet the needs of all students.
• Ownership of closing any existing academic gaps for all students.
• Create and maintain an inclusive classroom environment that values high expectations and character development for every child.
• Monitors and collects student data and uses data to inform instruction.
• Participate in staff training and work collaboratively with colleagues to plan lessons, assess students, and interpret academic data.
• Engage in coaching sessions to develop and grow practice.
• Provide consistent and clear high academic and behavioral expectations.
• Communicate effectively with students, families, and staff.
• Anticipated start date July 2021.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Deep alignment with school’s mission and core values.
• A staunch belief that all students regardless of race or socio-economic status can achieve at high levels and be positive contributors to their communities.
• A successful background check in compliance with state law.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with all school stakeholders.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
Preferred Key Competencies, Mindsets and Abilities
• Texas teacher certification.
• Strong leadership qualities.
• A growth mindset and high emotional intelligence.
• A social justice-oriented philosophy as it relates to the achievement gap and educational advancement of disenfranchised communities.
• Experience as a teacher or other profession in a high needs/and or urban setting.
• Experience with equity or cultural competency work and or professional development.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
Disclaimer: This job description provides the general nature and level of work to be performed by individuals hired for this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. Bloom Academy Charter School reserves the right to change any or all content of this job description based on the school’s needs. If applicable, the incumbent will be notified of any changes before they take effect.
Bloom as you are.
Bloom Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive environment for all adults and children who enter our doors.