Bloom Academy Charter School exists to provide a high quality, rigorous, and joyful educational experience to
students in grades kindergarten to fifth grade. We are a new and independent school seeking to add deeply mission aligned, smart, hardworking, and emotionally intelligent people to our founding staff. We opened August 2019 with a cohort of kindergarten and first graders, and will serve scholars in grades K-3 in the 21-22 school year. We will continue to add a grade level every year until we reach the fifth grade.
Bloom Academy Founding Director of Student Achievement
Driven by our mission to ensure every student succeeds, the founding Director of Student Achievement (DSA) will be responsible for ensuring that our scholars are meeting their academic benchmarks and goals while at Bloom Academy. The DSA will manage our Instructional Leadership Team which includes our Dean of Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Coach, and interventionists. We believe that teachers are key levers in producing student achievement. Therefore, Bloom Academy provides a working environment that intentionally supports and appreciates this incredibly demanding and important work through daily and weekly coaching and professional development at all levels of our organization. Joining our team as a founder provides a unique opportunity to help build the culture and legacy of Bloom Academy as it becomes an enduring and premier education option for generations of students to come.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE BELIEVE
At Bloom Academy we provide a safe, joyful, inclusive, and challenging learning environment for all students. This
includes children with special needs. This includes children from low-income households. This includes children who have been historically marginalized. We believe that all children can learn at high levels. We believe that all
children are extraordinary. We believe that children can only be as great as the adults in front of them. We believe that excellent teaching requires planning, coaching, constructive feedback and reflection. We believe that teaching is one of the greatest and hardest responsibilities in the world. We treat each other with respect and value the talent each person adds to our organization no matter their position on our organizational chart.
We exist to change the narrative about what children from low-income neighborhoods are capable of achieving both academic and personally. We exist to change the narrative about what Black and Brown children are capable of achieving both academically and personally. We are unapologetic about our philosophy. All applicants must share this mindset – no exceptions.
The Director of Student Achievement will have the following key responsibilities:
· Collaborate with the Superintendent on codifying a clear vision for using data to inform academic success across grade levels.
· Plan and manage Leadership Team meetings to ensure calibration and alignment across campus, progress toward
meeting schoolwide goals, and implementation of strategic plans rooted in student achievement.
· Manage the Dean of Curriculum and Instruction (DCI) and ensure that the curriculum our school utilizes is producing strong academic outcomes for our students.
· Manage the Instructional Coach to ensure that meaningful and purposeful feedback aligned to our mission and academic goals is being provided to teaching fellows.
· Collaborate with the DCI on selecting a Response to Intervention (RTI) program and the creating the structure in our daily schedule.
· Manage Response to Intervention (RTI) instructional planning and each stakeholder (vendor or Bloom Academy team member) that provides intervention.
· Manage, coach, and professionally develop a team of interventionists with proven techniques to accelerate learning in reading and math.
· Engage in an annual curriculum audit focused on student achievement and content mastery.
· Evaluate the effectiveness of instructional units across all content areas.
· Observe and coach teachers in order to develop their mastery of craft and content in pursuit of our ambitious mission.
· Create a vision for assessment and manage the selection and creation of formative and summative assessments.
· Work with the Superintendent to set annual academic goals and benchmarks – and be relentless about meeting our goals for children.
· Develop a student data analysis protocol based on best practices and lead schoolwide data days.
· Interpret and manage Texas state requirements and or instruction related grants (HB 3, HB 4545, TClas, TIA).
· Collect, organize, and present data derived from multiple assessments to our campus team and external stakeholders as necessary.
· Create monthly reports on Bloom Academy’s academic progress.
· Engage in coaching sessions to develop and grow practice.
· Provide consistent and clear high academic and behavioral expectations.
· Communicate effectively with students, families, and staff.
· Bachelor’s degree required; masters preferred.
· At least three years of instructional leadership experience.
· Experience hiring and supervising employees.
· Deep alignment with school’s mission and core values.
· A staunch belief that all students regardless of race or socio-economic status can achieve at high levels and be positive contributors to their communities.
· A successful background check in compliance with state law.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with all school stakeholders.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
· Evidence of self-motivation, strong organizational and time management skills.
· Anticipated start date is August 2021
Preferred Key Competencies, Mindsets and Abilities
· A current teacher and or principal certification in the state of Texas.
· Strong leadership qualities.
· A growth mindset and high emotional intelligence.
· A social justice-oriented philosophy as it relates to the opportunity gap and educational advancement of disenfranchised communities.
· Experience with equity or cultural competency work and or professional development.
Disclaimer: This job description provides the general nature and level of work to be performed by individuals hired for this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. Bloom Academy Charter School reserves the right to change any or all content of this job description based on the school’s needs. If applicable, the incumbent will be notified of any changes before they take effect.
This is a private grant funded position.
Bloom as you are.
Bloom Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive environment for all adults and children who enter our doors.