HCZ requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accordingly, successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination prior to commencement of employment.
We are seeking a Pre-Kindergarten Teacher. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for the mission and core values of HCZ Harlem Gems, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
Harlem Gems is the final step in our early childhood pipeline. A top-notch, year-round, full-day pre-kindergarten program, Gems works with 160 children across two sites to ensure that each and everyone enters kindergarten school-ready. Gems staff encourage strong family involvement, engaging parents and caregivers in classroom activities, and creating consistency between home and school.
Early literacy skills are a primary focus of the Gems curriculum. Students are immersed in language—and not just English. They also learn basic vocabulary in French and Spanish, and get to know and explore the world around them through exposure to a range of disciplines—from math, science, and technology to social studies and the arts. They participate in fun fitness activities, playing sports such as golf and tennis, and even learn the basics of health and nutrition, including how to differentiate “go,” “slow,” and “whoa” foods to foster healthy eating habits. From recreation to reading, our goal is to turn our Gems into lifelong learners. And we reinforce the ultimate goal—college graduation—early and often. Each Gems classroom is named after a prestigious college or university, at once setting a high bar for the future and fostering a culture of academic excellence.
Our team has been comprehensively reviewing best practices from local, national, and international school systems and following government guidelines to ensure we are taking all possible safety measures related to the pandemic. Our safety protocols have been enhanced with the advice and assistance of experts in the areas of public health, epidemiology, air quality control, space design and layout, and building capacity. Our organization continues to prioritize the safety of all students and staff as we navigate these unprecedented times.
Harlem Gems has an immediate opening for a Pre – Kindergarten Teacher. The Pre – Kindergarten Teacher will incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work to engage students, keep classes focused and infuse a lasting desire to learn.
- Provide a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play
- Organize and lead activities designed to promote physical, mental and social development, such as games, arts and crafts, music, storytelling, and field trips
- Observe and evaluate children's performance, behavior, social development, and physical health
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their children's progress and needs, determine their priorities for their children, and suggest ways that they can promote learning and development
- Provide structure in the classroom by developing and clearly enforcing rules and expectations for class discussion and activities
- Follow the programs policies and procedures for student conduct and discipline
- Communicate effectively with students, parents and colleagues
- Participate effectively and collegiality in department meetings and parent meetings
- Provide a nurturing environment and model positive behavior for students
- Master's degree required, preferably in Education
- Previous early childhood classroom experience, preferably in an urban setting
- Knowledge and understanding of curriculum
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Valid NYS Certification in either of the following:
Early Childhood Education (Birth – Grade 2)
Pre – Kindergarten, Kindergarten and (Grades K – 6)
We offer highly competitive salaries with generous performance-based bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package, and a low student-teacher ratio. To be considered, interested applicants must apply online or submit a cover letter and resume. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)