Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School seeks a warm, talented educator who will serve as a full-time middle school mathematics teacher and advisor. The ideal candidate will be an experienced math educator who loves working with students in grades 5-8, has strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral), is a collaborative team player, and is comfortable integrating math with technology, science, and other subjects when possible. Additional experience in science and technology is very much welcomed! Candidates must be comfortable teaching in person math, but also able to shift to virtual teaching if ever necessary.
The ability to inspire in students a passion for learning is essential, as is the ability to develop in them both an appreciation for and deep understanding of math skills and concepts. Additionally, the ideal candidate will be able to cultivate creative problem solving, critical thinking, and higher-order mathematical reasoning skills. An understanding of the mathematical practices identified in the Mathematical Standards and the ability to make those practices a reality are essential. Experience with Understanding by Design as a framework for planning is a plus.
This position entails being an Advisor on one of the four middle school advising teams. The Bernard Zell Advisory program strives to foster students’ social and emotional growth and well-being, supporting them both in and out of the classroom, and inspiring in them a commitment to meaningful service learning. Experience with Responsive Classroom is preferred.
- Teach mathematics to middle school students, maintaining high expectations and a commitment to supporting students of all levels
- Develop and implement curriculum as a member of a collaborative middle school math team
- Use formative and summative assessments to monitor and evaluate student progress
- Give specific feedback to support student growth
- Work on an advisory team, planning advisory learning and creating a safe, nurturing environment for students
- Advise and advocate for a group of middle school students, with responsibility for academic/social/emotional oversight
- Communicate regularly and effectively with parents and others on the student and grade-level team
- Help lead service learning through the advisory program
Qualifications & Skills
- An advanced degree in mathematics and/or curriculum design in mathematics
- Experience with middle school-aged children and an understanding of adolescent development
- Experience in writing math curriculum
- A commitment to service learning and the ability to create meaningful service-learning opportunities
- Ability to teach executive functioning skills and habits of learning that create successful lifelong learners
- Background in executive functioning skills and habits of learning that create successful lifelong learners
- Proficiency with educational technologies including Google Apps, iPad, Zoom, Chromebook and others
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
As a condition of employment, all applicants must successfully pass a criminal background screening.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School has a long-standing policy of equal employment opportunity for every person regardless of age, race, color, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, or citizenship.
Bernard Zell recruits, hires and promotes individuals without regard to these characteristics, and all staffing decisions are based solely on the qualifications of each individual and the legitimate educational needs of our students.
The school does not discriminate in working conditions, physical facilities or any other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, including transfer, compensation, training, promotion, demotion or separation based on age, race, color, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry or citizenship. Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School seeks to provide a work environment that is free from discrimination, intimidation, and harassment based on any of these or other characteristics.