Job Overview: Substitute teachers perform related duties of a teacher OR supports the classroom fellow stepping in as the lead in providing continuity in the day-to-day responsibilities during the absence of the regular employee.
Reports to: Substitute Teachers report directly to the Office Manager.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Manage or co-manage the classroom and provide instructions according to plans as prepared by the fellow or classroom teacher.
- Embody the Responsive Classroom philosophy for creating a community of learners and managing the classroom
- Embrace and foster inclusion in the the classroom and uphold high expectations for all students
- Implement workshop model instruction lessons to differentiate instruction and promote student engagement
- Assist with all aspects of the daily routine, including distributing and collecting supplies, keeping attendance records, lunchroom duty, recess, supporting COVID protocols, etc.
- Work with students to help reinforce learning objectives
- Adhere to all Mundo Verde policies and procedures
- Use appropriate judgment to act in the best interest of students at all times
- Perform other duties as assigned by the appropriate administrator
Qualifications, Skills and Values
- Associate’s degree or 48 hours college credits, or equivalent experience.
- One year of experience working with children ages 3-12(i.e. tutoring, camp, after school) required, it is a plus if experience in a school setting.
- Bilingual preferred, English-Spanish
- Experience working with special needs students in an inclusive setting, preferred.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, strong leadership capabilities, and a commitment to their own learning.
Skills and Values
- Demonstrated ability to be an independent solutions-oriented problem-solver
- Commitment to demonstrate love and joy towards students, colleagues, and the work
- Willing, hard-working attitude with a growth mindset toward self, students, and colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of personal work and the school mission
- Capacity to embody the characteristics of a Community Steward by practicing six community building virtues and values every day: 1) Empathy, 2) Speak your truth, 3) Perseverance, 4) Inquiry, 5) Collaboration, and 6) Appreciation
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate deeply with colleagues to support efforts to raise student achievement
- Familiar with the different levels of age-appropriate student development
- Dedicated to learning how to meet the needs of every diverse learner
- Ability to manage time and work in a fast-paced, dynamic school environment, multi-task, prioritize and stay calm under pressure
- Commitment to learning and implementing Responsive Classroom and Restorative Practices
- Open to deepening understanding how to differentiate for students with IEPs
- Understanding of the different levels of age-appropriate student development
- Ability to establish strong, trusting, and authentic relationships with students, colleagues, families and other stakeholders
- Ability to manage time and work in a fast paced, dynamic school environment, multi task, prioritize and stay calm under pressure
Other Job Details
- Schedule: 8 hour day starting at 7.50am (may be required to attend meetings after student dismissal)
- Location: Either campus
- Position Type: This is a 10-month hourly position which is exempt and therefore eligible for overtime pay under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Employment subject to TB test, fingerprinting and background check
What we offer
Mundo Verde cares for and values our phenomenal staff and provides the following:
- A Tier 1 school home in which to inspire children in a progressive environment
- An opportunity to be a part of developing compassionate global stewards and life-long biliterate learners
- Colleagues who are devoted to their practice, their students, and the school mission
- A leadership team dedicated to supporting professional growth by providing feedback and support
- A 3-4 week summer institute and other professional development opportunities as available
- FT hourly: A benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, short/long-term and life insurance, employer contributions to a 401(k), a transportation stipend, and paid time off (10 days of PTO: 7 Sick, 3 Personal), off on winter break, spring break and holidays scheduled in the school calendar.
MVBPCS is an equal opportunity employer.