Hudson Lab School is a progressive, project-based K-7 school, growing a grade per year to become a K-12 school. We are located in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY, just 30 minutes north of New York City. We opened in 2017 within Andrus on Hudson, a nursing home situated on 26 acres of wooded trails and scenic lawns overlooking the Hudson River. At Hudson Lab School, we integrate collaborative, interdisciplinary project-based learning (PBL) and thoughtful social-emotional, identity-diversity-inclusion learning with high quality academics and an emphasis on student agency.
Our mission is to instill a love of learning and to teach children how to design and build a life in which they thrive. HLS was designed to foster a sense of agency in every student as the foundation for academic and life success.
A key factor to job success and satisfaction is who you’re working with. Our educators are collaborative and innovative. They examine problems, generate solutions, make calculated risks, learn from their failures and apply a growth mindset towards finding or redefining success. Teachers at HLS are also models of lifelong learning: collaborating to design meaningful learning experiences for students, closely observing children’s development and needs, and creating and reflecting on new routines and systems.
HLS is committed to building agency for both our students and our educators. We provide a large degree of autonomy for educators, providing the support and structure to ensure each educator is wildly successful in their work with students and their class’ creative projects.
What Sets Hudson Lab School Apart?
- Museum of Us - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y659ua92LxA&feature=youtu.be
- Live Action Learning: Making of the Documentary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfzgcyEiSCQ&feature=youtu.be
- Intergenerational Learning: Bringing Nature to the Grands via VR - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7SXv5dhgw&feature=youtu.be
To apply, please go to hudsonlabschool.com/career.
You will co-teach in one of our five mixed-aged classes in the 2021-22 school year. In partnership with your co-teacher, you will work with up to sixteen children spanning two grade levels K-5. We are looking for educators who are designers with a passion for project-based learning. We seek educators who model a growth mindset and are at their best when being creative and working in a collaborative learning and working environment. You will work closely with our School Directors to create and implement an emergent and academically rigorous curriculum and develop interdisciplinary project-based learning activities with opportunities for real-world engineering, reading, writing, math and science applications.
There is no one formula that defines an excellent HLS educator. Some qualifications we seek include:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in education
- Experience teaching applicable grade bands with a strength in core skills (math, literacy, science)
- Experience in designing and implementing hands-on, child-centered learning curriculum
- A passion for working in an inquiry setting where projects and problems are used to motivate students to research and explore solutions and creations
- Commitment to working collaboratively with colleagues and parents
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
- Belief in technology as a medium to learn and create
- A growth mindset
- A sense of humor
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
Health, dental and vision benefits
Health Savings Account (HSA)
Employee Funded 401k
Meaningful opportunities for professional development