Community Life Center, Inc was organized in 1944 and incorporated in 1950 by Rev. Arthur Eugene Adair and his wife Dr. Thelma C. Adair to provide health, education and welfare services for the children of the Mount Morris Park area in Harlem. Instituted during the second World Warn ClC and Mount Morris Children's Center provided care for 160 children, six days a week for parents, mostly women working in war(1) associated factories. CLC also operated a camp during the summer months, first in Rockland County and later in Ulster County, New York. In 1965, the summer after the riots, the total resources of CLC were applied to the summer program for under privileged youth, by using the centrally coordinated facilities of several small street level churches in project PERC, People Energy Rebuilds Communities. Some 5000 youths participated in Community Life's Harlem Olympics at Randall's Island while in the twenty(20) coordinated centers, 2000 youths learned in remedial classes and engaged in supervised recreation. Still in 1965, Community Life Center operated a summer Head Start program. Head Start was among the federally funded anti-poverty programs created by the Johnson administration to improve the conditions of families living in poverty. Head Start started providing quality early childhood education to young children as well as comprehensive family support services to the entire family in programs across the country. It was the challenge of an article from the New York Times describing the difficulty in obtaining licensable space in Harlem for Head Start which was the impetus for the present Community Life Center Head Start, Child Development Center. The basic idea was to find a way to release the total creative energy of the community and of each organization involved in the project; to educate; to make decisions; to arouse interest; to create an environment to provide Head Start for our children. Fast forward, CLC continues its mission to offer childcare and...