Thomas MacLaren School is a top-performing, tuition-free K-12th grade charter public school. Thomas MacLaren School opened its doors in the fall of 2009. From our humble beginnings renting space in a local church for 77 6th-9th grade students, we are now in our fifth year on our own campus which accommodates the 2018 expansion of our school from 6-12 to K-12. Our student body numbers over 900 students. Over the past eleven years, MacLaren has racked up impressive awards (School of Distinction, John Irwin Award of Excellence, High School Growth Award) and test scores (Class of 2017 state record-breaking ACT composite average of 29.8, Class of 2022 with the highest average SAT score in the Pikes Peak Region) while daily undertaking the task of developing young men and women who are fully human and fully awake to the world. We expect each student to master history, mathematics, science, literature, Latin and English, as well as to gain familiarity with at least one other language and fine arts. Our Lower School (K-5) curriculum, full of rigor and wonder, prepares younger students to be able to plumb the depths of the Upper School (6-12) curriculum eagerly and confidently.
The ideal candidate will be able to impart knowledge and learning skills to the children in his/her assigned class in a manner that meets professional standards while participating in the community of learners that is Thomas MacLaren School.
Experience: Demonstrated ability to serve well as Thomas MacLaren teacher.
Teaching License not required. BA required. Teachers of math, science, English, social studies/history must hold
• BA in content area or
• 36 hours in content area or
• PRAXIS test completion in content area within one year of employment
Other knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Love of educating children
• Love of learning
• Ability to impart a love of learning to young people
• Ability to master Thomas MacLaren School’s curriculum
• Knowledge of and interest in a wide variety of writings and thought beyond one’s own area of expertise
• Ability to communicate well with students and parents
• Ability to maintain an orderly classroom
• Ability to guide students through organization and preparation of a term paper or research topic appropriate to field of study
• Ability to prepare and administer oral examinations
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with both young people and adults
• Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative environment
• Willingness to take direction from lead teachers and Head of Upper School
• Commitment to a diverse population of students and to closing the achievement gap
For employees contracted for 30 hours per week or more, Thomas MacLaren School pays for 100% of the employee’s base insurance premiums (Health, Dental, Vision, Long-term and Short-term disability, Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance, and Life insurance) for the base level coverages.
Employees contracted for 40 hours per week, we offer 64 hours of paid time off (16 hours personal time and 48 hours of sick time) per year. Part-time employees receive prorated time off according to their contract status.