York Academy provides a rich, cross-curricular learning environment utilizing the International Baccalaureate curriculum. The coursework moves beyond memorizing information to providing a creative, collaborative classroom environment. Students are taught to think critically, challenge assumptions and draw their own conclusions. The work is rigorous and rewarding, as students develop the skills to become lifelong learners. An emphasis is placed on students' personal development, along with their ability to work independently and with others.
In kindergarten, our students begin receiving instruction in the Spanish language, which continues until sixth grade and beyond when it becomes a major subject. To best serve our students in kindergarten through third grade, all classrooms have a both a certified teacher and an instructional assistant. We attempt to secure certified individuals to fill the instructional assistant positions, as well.
Our location provides additional learning opportunities for all students - from field trips to the Appell Center for the Performing Arts and numerous local museums and art galleries - to swimming lessons at the YMCA and cooking classes at Central Market. These experiences strengthen the ties between our school community and the City of York, and help our students understand their roles as local citizens. As part of an IB education, they are encouraged to be active in their own communities and to take their learning beyond academic study.
York Academy is the only school in York County - and one of two in Pennsylvania - to offer the International Baccalaureate Continuum, which includes the Primary Years Programme, Middle Years Programme and Diploma Programme. Our school is also unique to the Commonwealth because it is tri-chartered by three districts: Central York, York City and York Suburban School Districts.
1. Must possess excellent interpersonal skills.
2. Must be able to work in an environment with frequent interruptions.
3. Possess the ability to work cooperatively with others. Maturity and the ability to deal effectively with students, parents/guardians, and staff.
4. Self-motivated with the ability to work independently within the limits of assigned responsibilities.
5. Understands the importance of and can practice confidentiality.
6. Adheres to specific rules and regulations as they apply to the discipline procedures of the building.
7. Friendly, helpful, and caring personality.
1. Ability to communicate effectively.
2. Ability to organize tasks.
3. Ability to handle multiple tasks.
4. Ability to exercise sound judgment.
2. All Pennsylvania Clearances are required (Act 24, Act 34, Act 114, Act 151, Act 168 and Physical Exam and TB Test.)
1. Must be able to make judgments and work under high levels of stress.
2. Must be able to work independently with little direct supervision.
3. Must be able to work as part of a team.
4. Must be able to display effective multi-tasking and possess time management skills.
5. Must be able to demonstrate strong work ethic to achieve York Academy goals.
6. Accepts responsibility and is self-motivated and reflective.
7. Meets professional obligations through efficient work habits such as: meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, and coordinating.
Medical, Vision and Dental